Thursday, March 2

Thursday Thirteen


Thirteen Memories Of My Childhood

1. Riding a ferry boat across the Mississippi River with my family every fall to go apple-picking in Illinois.
2. Stealing the 'for sale' sign out of my best friend's front yard because I didn't want her to move away. She did anyway. (Are you reading this, Nicole?)
3. Reading a book in the outfield when we played baseball at recess time. The teacher (my daddy) never said a word.
4. Helping my mom figure out how to drive someplace because she has no head for directions and I do.
5. Visiting my grandma on the farm each summer and playing with the kittens she always got just for me. I dressed them in doll clothes and wheeled them in a baby carriage. Once one of them puked after this abominable treatment.
6. Accompanying my preacher-dad to visit a sick person in the hospital, and watching him pause to comfort a baby crying in a crib in the hall.
7. Gettting bored in church while my mom played the organ and my dad preached. Stacking hymnal after hymnal higher and higher to sit on. Until the man across the aisle scooped me up and set me next to him.
8. Riding a little tram up to the top of the St. Louis Arch, and seeing cars far below that looked like Matchbox cars.
9. Marching around the living room with my brothers and sisters while my mom played "March From Aida" on the piano.
10. Sitting on the stairs listening to my mom teach childbirth classes in our family room.
11. Getting cookies and letters in the mail from my grandmother.
12. Watching my dad mist up at the sight of a baby--any baby--didn't have to be his own.
13. Singing songs with my mom at bedtime.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. KDubs

2. Shelli's Sentiments

7.Little Bit of This and That »

8.maremagnum

9.My. Frog legs. .

10. The Purple Giraffe

11. If life were perfect

12. Scouser

13.Ramblings of a Working Wife and Mom

14.My. FROGLEGS. .

15.My Lighter Side

16.Lazy Daisy Log


(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
!


21 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Blogger Kimmy said...

How precious your dad. What a sweet man!

I love how you stole the 'for sale' sign out of your best friend's front yard because you didn't want her to move away. I think that is precious. And it makes me sad for you even now.

My 13 are up, too.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Ha! Number 7 made me laugh. I remember getting deadly bored in church, which was usually followed by the terminal giggles.

Those were sweet memories! Thanks for sharing :-)

My list is up!

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger srp said...

Here from Michele.
Number 7 is very good. When my preacher dad was preaching in a Salvation Army meeting and my mom was playing the organ for it. I (as a two year old) happily passed out my new photos that Mom had just purchased, to all the poor souls attending. She could see me moving among those who had come for a meal and stayed for the service but couldn't stop me. She was able to station herself at the door and collected them all back as they left.

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger mar said...

Awww, precious reading, I loved it! I am like your dad (nr. 12), my TT is up.

 
At 12:59 AM, Anonymous Eric said...

I've been know to read a book at inopportune times as well (#3) and my brother and I also had several "extra" parents when attending church (#7). Sounds like dad had a great influence on you.

If you would like to visit: my thursday thirteen.

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Shelli said...

Those are awesome memories.

My 13 are up!

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Libragirl said...

That sounds like a great childhood.
Sorry stealing the for sale sign didn't work.

Liked from Shelli

My tt are up

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger monica said...

I love that your dad got misty at babies and your mom sang. Heck, I love the list. Mine are up!

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

Such beautiful memories.

My 13 are up, finally...

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger FrogLegs said...

What a nice idea for your 13-- I always enjoy yours! #9 reminds me of times my siblings and I would parade around... Mine are up!

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger momrn2 said...

WHAT? You stole a for sale sign from your friend's yard?? I have never heard of such a thing. I can't believe it. (now quietly with a sly grin on my face... "but I like that idea... oh, what a great idea!)

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Scouser said...

Cool 13, remember doing something similar to #1 but my ferry rides were across the Mersey.
Is it just me or is blogger really slow today? It seems to be taking me ages to get round all of the 13s. BTW My TT is up.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Ahh...such sweet memories. Made me laugh! My TT are up. (We put for sale signs we had gathered from all over town in front of one teacher's house we wanted to move!)

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Ficklechick said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful childhood!

Mine TT are up :)

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous eph2810 said...

This is a wonderful list :) I love it "stealing the for sale sign so your friend wouldn't move"....Those are beautiful memories you have listed. Thank you so much for sharing...

I have My 13 posted on My Lighter Side.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Laura said...

what great memories!
My TT is up.

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Ma said...

Great 13! It's great to look back and remember your the "good ole days". It warms the heart!

My 13

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Faith said...

Cool. I did a childhood TT today too. I really enjoyed yours.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger flipflop said...

Those were nice memories.

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Lori said...

I'm sure that man across the aisle from you in church was hearing scary music in his head as you were headed for doom. :-)

I've run across your name a couple of times this week: once at Jen's blog and once through an Ethiopian adoption blog. What fun! We just adopted twins from Ethiopia. They keep life...lively!

And I have a TT up as well, if you care to visit. It's rather uninspired this week but that's how it goes sometimes.

Lori

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Internal Expert said...

Sounds like some wonderful childhood memories. You are blessed.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home