Saturday, January 7

SLIPPAGE



My 3 year old was explaining Spiderman to me today. Don’t be too hard on me for letting a 3 year old watch Spiderman. Heaven knows I never would have let my first-born watch a PG-13 movie at such an impressionable age. But this kid is my seventh. And although she is NOT afflicted with the “no pictures in the photo album” problem of some younger siblings, she is the happy beneficiary of ‘slippage’ -- slipping standards, that is.

She‘s got four older brothers, all of whom like action movies--and you can‘t ALWAYS send the kid to bed when the big kids want to watch a movie. Well, I suppose, theoretically, you could. But-- bad me-- I don‘t. We do fast-forward through some scenes when she's watching. I do have a few remaining standards.
But she's seen Spiderman-- and she loves it. So here I sit, listening as my daughter explains it all to me.

“The Green Goblin is the bad guy. He has wings on his ship like this--” Her pinky and thumb waggle on either side of her hand like wings. “He flies all around. He always gets the girl. But then Spiderman saves her. Always he saves her.”

“And then what happens?”

“He kisses her.” Her dimples flash.

“Why?”
“Because he’s her boyfriend. And she’s his girlfriend. They’re like a family.”

"So…why do mommy and daddy kiss?” I ask.

She speaks with certainty. “Because you’re copying Spiderman.”
So THAT"s where we got the idea.

1 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mary, so glad you shared your blog site. I am enjoying reading it and seeing the photos! The baby has grown and is adorable!!

I too let me "littles" watch
Spiderman..I can identify with "slipage" though I have also seen myself get stricter about a lot of things with the younger 12 kiddos than I was with the now grown older 6 children. Course I wasn't all that great a parent in my teens and 20s. I tried but was still growing up myself then!

Julee
fellow adoptive mommie to many

 

Post a Comment

<< Home