Tuesday, April 25

I Am From (#3)

This one was written by my awesome 14 year old!



I am from the bat, ball and glove, the ball field in the middle of the summer when it's so hot the air feels like it's about to catch on fire. From the thrill of victory and agony of defeat, from after game snacks of Gatorade and Nabisco cookies.

I am from the white-house-with-green-trim, and ponies grazing in the pasture. From the house with a number missing on the mailbox, but the mail lady still delivered the mail. I am from swimming holes that are deep enough to dive into, and desert wind that blows dust into the house even if the doors are closed.

I am from Taco Tuesdays after the other kids are done with choir and weekend wood trips in the summer. From family members that you see only at Christmas time, and weddings that you have to travel miles to go to. From Super Bowl Sunday parties where we see family and friends.

I am from the place where you can never miss the bus, and school begins between 9 and 10:30. From "I guess it's time to hit the hay” and “Just one more story please, Daddy!!!” I am from the swimming pool in the August heat, from Speedo goggles and Super Soakers.

I am from loving Jesus, and being there every Sunday, but almost never being in time for all of Sunday School opening. I am from perfect attendance, and birthday treats, Sunday school doughnuts, puppet shows and Christmas programs where I never got to be Joseph.

I'm from the place where you have to water your lawn, and potatoes, sugar beets and corn are everywhere. From Cambell’s soup with Skippy peanut butter on saltines when Mom was away at work and Dad had just gotten home.

From the stories of Mom at 16 driving across the U.S. in a van pulling a trailer, while her dad was driving a U-Haul. From stories about Dad and his dad hiking to serene mountain lakes to fish together.

I am from the dust of the earth, the wall behind the stair, home videos, photo albums and computer screens. This is my life as of now. It couldn't be better.

21 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger PJ Academy said...

Skippy Peanut Butter & Cambell's Soup one of my favorite things to eat as a kid (still is!!)
"This is my life as of now and it couldn't be better" AAAWWWWWWWW =)
Great Job!!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

Both your 11's and 14's essays are wonderful. I love the thought they put into this, and I hope they keep these someplace special.

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary,
thanks for this I am From post. I love it and am going to use it with my home school too. I though
this would be good to pass around to grandparents who might want to do them for the kids scrapbooks.

Dawn

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

I just don't have a creative thing to write these days, spending more time outside playing with my boys. But HOW REFRESHING to come in for a break and read these POSTS! The "I am from" posts are WONDERFUL! Thank you for pulling this together. It's one of my favorites so far. ;)

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I'm just crying at this. How wonderful.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

Wow! You have some incredibly talented children, Mary!

Mine is up for reading now:

http://flippinsweet.typepad.com/

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Lei said...

so fun mary... i really want my 7 yr. old to do this exercise now!

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

De-lurking to say this post by a 14 year old boy takes my breath away. Thank you for sharing and to him for writing! Keep up the great work with your children!

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looove this one! He should be a writer!

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My ten year old just did it too!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Heth said...

That was great! I love that your kids did this. How fun to read all of their different perspectives.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Susie said...

This speaks so well of the wonderful life your children have.
Blessing to all of you!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Islandsparrow said...

Another writer in the family!! Well done!

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Perri said...

Just reading these -- you can tell your family is having a great childhood. You never have to worry about them showing up on Oprah to say bad things about you.

Keep up the good work!

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Melzie said...

Awww.. he did good. :)

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

I LOVE it! I liked Dawn's idea, too. This would be a great family reunion idea. I need to get introspective and write mine.

 
At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm totally impressed with both of those! You have such great kids, Mary!

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Heather Plett said...

What a great idea! Your sons did an amazing and insightful job. I might have to try this with my kids!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm really enjoying yours. I love that you call yourself a "van-parker extraordinaire". After years of being nagged by a former truck-driver husband who INSISTS I have to back into parking spaces, I now consider myself a "car-parker extraordinaire" too. :-)

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

This one is GREAT, too!! I can't wait to read the others. ;)

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Lala's world said...

that is such a great "I am from"
well done~!!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Nicki said...

Great Job! These are so good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home