Wednesday, January 18

The New Math

So this morning my 7 years olds were whining their way through the obligatory two pages of math before they could go play video games. They're just starting multiplication: the 0's, 1's and 10's. I checked a mathbook where obviously some confusion existed about the 1's.

"No, hon, anything times one is itself. See, 8 x 1= 8. And 4 x 1 = 4."

The seven year old bursts into tears at this point. "No! (points to 8 x 1 = 16) Daddy told me to do it this way!"

Somehow I kinda doubt it. Now all I have to do is convince the kid.

1 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger MrsDoF said...

Our newspaper today had a below the fold story about a nearby elementary school where the principal began a 'teach the parents' night once a month.
It seems the parents can go to the classrooms in an evening and learn the methods and subjects their children are learning.
I am learning new methods in the classes I am taking at the community college.
You might go to an educational supply store and get a 10s chart.
It looks like a grid with all the numbers going across and down, and the child can follow a finger and see the connections.
I had one when I was in 2nd grade, but it seemed to have fallen from fashion in the 80s when my sons were in school.
The new way is the old way these days.
I'm doing pretty well in understanding and participation with my Math for Elementary Teachers class.
It's taking the tests (when my brain freezes) that pulls down the grade.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home