Monday, January 23

Vaccines and Autism

This morning I read the post from The tales of Mama D where she shared her concerns over vaccinating her child. For the record, my kids are fully vaccinated, but not without a fair amount of concern, and on a much later schedule than the doc recommended. I just didn't feel peaceful about giving huge numbers of shots to my babies when they were very young.

Anyway, later today I read an anguished post from a friend of mine whose daughter mistakenly got an adult flu shot instead of a child-size dose-- and soon after presented with autism. Scary, sad stuff. The theory is that the problem ingredient in the immunizations is mercury or thimerosol, which is a poison. And yet it used as a perservative in immunizations.

It IS being phased out of shots in the US-- it is not in nearly as many shots NOW as it was in the early 90's. But according to my reading today, it is CURRENTLY still present in two shots: the flu shot and the tetanus booster.

If you are interested in reading more about this provocative debate, check out Rolling Stone : Deadly Immunity

2 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Brianna Heldt said...

I just read that article you linked to; very interesting (and disturbing!) We got our 23 month old all of her shots on the normal schedule, though now after reading this I am definitely going to ask the doc about spreading them out, with future children. I do think I heard that in California (where we live) they are not using that preservative anymore, thankfully.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Mama D said...

Thanks for the link to that article. Wow. I am so back and forth on this. LynAnne commented on my blog and had a lot of convincing arguements for vaccinating. Then I read this article. I am still happy with my decision but I will keep investigating!

Thanks again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home