Thursday, February 23

My Hundredth Post!!!

OK, I'm a little embarrassed at how quickly I made it to my hundredth post, but in time-honored blogger tradition, here are

ONE HUNDRED THINGS ABOUT MARY
(In no particular order)
1. I grew up the oldest of 8 kids.
2. I grew up a preacher’s kid.
3. My elementary school (K-8) consisted of about 20 pupils and was taught by my dad.
4. I can speed read.
5. I type with 2 fingers on each hand and I‘m good at it.
6. I have 5 younger sisters.
7. Both my brothers make their livings as computer gurus.
8. I was 17 when I met my hubby in Precalculus class.
9. I’ve been married half my life.
10. I spent one month of my life as a pregnant (married) teenager.
11. I’m left-handed.
12. Two of my children are left handed too, included one of my adopted kids.
13. I read the entire Tolkien series at least 5 times as a teenager.
14. Two months after I got my license, I drove my parent’s van cross-country pulling a travel trailer.
15. One year as a kid I went snow-skiing 17 times.
16. I am ridiculously fond of getting the mail.
17. I fight with my daughters for the privilege.
18. Maybe we should get out of the house more.
19. I love sushi, lasagna, and sardines.
20. I’ve been to Disneyland and Disneyworld.
21. I’ve been to the top of the St. Louis Arch.
22. I’ve seen the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone.
23. I’ve seen Cape Canaveral.
24. I’ve been to Ethiopia twice.
25. I’ve been to Korea twice.
26. I’ve been to London, Cairo, Jordan, and Frankfurt--at the airport, anyway.
27. I attended the 2002 Winter Olympics in SLC with hubby and 6 kids. It was awesome!
28. I love yard-saling
29. I worked in OB as a registered nurse for 10 years.
30. I have delivered about 30 babies by myself (pokey doctors/speedy mamas!)
31. My mom and my sister are nurses too.
32. I knew I’d be a nurse even at age 5 when I founded a doll’s ‘Poke-Eye Hospital’ named after a sadly-injured doll.
33. I like to prune trees. Very much to my husband’s dismay.
34. I have a plate and 5 screws in my left arm from falling off a horse and breaking my arm 5 years ago.
35. I do not beep due to the metal when going through airport security.
36. I broke my wrist the next year.
37. I was very cranky about it.
38. I was maid-of-honor twice during the same pregnancy
39. I have an BAD book-buying obsession.
40. So much so that my hubby is currently building me more bookshelves.
41. I learned to drive stick-shift on a green 1959 Chevy pickup named “Hiyahowa”
42. My first car was a white AMC Hornet
43. My current car is a black 15 passenger van.
44. Each of our 3 vehicles has a stroller stashed in the back of it.
45. I have been fingerprinted 8 times (for adoptions!)
46. I still have my manger scene up. Actually, two. Yes, from Christmas.
47. I used to tease my mom for doing the same thing.
48. I’ve had 3 computers since 1996.
49. There are 4 working computers in our home right now (knock on wood.)
50. My favorite candy bar is either Butterfingers or Mounds.
51. Or Reeses.
52.I was in a Junior Miss Pageant when I was 17.
53. I read “The Silver Chair” by CS Lewis 7 times when I was a kid.
54. I once worked at McDonalds but quit when the boss tried to pinch me where he shouldn’t have.
55. I worked at a car wash one summer and learned the names of all the cars.
56. I worked at a fabric store but spent my paycheck on fabric as fast as I made it.
57. I still love to sew when I get the chance.
58. I once owned a gift basket business.
59. I love to cook as long as I don’t have to clean up.
60. I cook most of our food from scratch.
61. I’ve bought about a dozen Happy Meals in my whole life. Yeah, weird mom, deprived kids. Get over it.
62. I can cook Ethiopian and Korean food along with most ordinary US cuisine.
63. I spend about $600-$700 a month for groceries
64. I had Merry Maids come to my house once.
65. I wish I could get them to come back without having to fork over the dough.
66. I get my frugal gene from my German grandma who is in heaven now.
67. I am typing at this moment with two kids on my lap.
68. Usually I only have one kid on my lap while typing.
69. Almost all my computer time happens while my baby naps in my arms or after she’s asleep for the night.
70. My baby is showing signs that she may soon be going from two naps to one nap in a day.
71. This saddens me.
72. I love self-help books and quizzes.
73. My ‘love language’ is Acts of Service.
74. I’m an INTJ, (I think)
75. I’ve homeschooled my kids for 11 years.
76. When I got my new ring last week, I almost got in a car wreck while admiring it.
77. I love garlic and hot peppers.
78. I have a story published in a "Chicken Soup" book.
79. Early on in my writing career, I wrote a murder mystery.
80. It was rejected by all the finest publishers.
81. My mom, however, swore it was wonderful. (Thanks, mom!)
82. I survived natural childbirth FOUR times!! (Thanks partly to my mom!)
83. I was in labor for 34 hours with my first baby.
84. My first child was born three months before I got out of nursing school.
85. I brought her to lectures and sat in the back of class nursing her and taking notes.
86. I was able to breastfeed all my bio kids and some of my adopted kids.
87. It’s OK if you think that’s weird. My babies and I did not.
88. I studied German for 3 years and completed the entire 2-CD course of Rosetta Stone Korean.
89. Last summer I spent 27 (non-consecutive) days camping with 8 kids, a hubby and a dog (travel trailer, toilet, shower, microwave--don’t feel too sorry for me.).
90. I have at least one scrapbook for each of my 8 children.
91. I take at least a hundred pictures of my kids each month.
92. My favorite book on adoption is “Attaching In Adoption” by Deborah Gray.
93. One of my favorite parenting books is, “Hold On To Your Kids” by Gordon Neufeld.
94. My kids say you’ll think I’m weird after you read this, but say they’re used to me.
95. My son says too many of these sentences begin with ‘I” (But isn’t that what this list is all about?)
96. I saved the best stuff about me till last.
97. I am blessed with 8 beautiful children.
98. I would love more children if finances and my hubby are favorable at the same time someday.
99. I have the best hubby in the world.
100. I’m only a sinner saved by God’s grace.

18 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Woo Hoo, you actually did 100...I had trouble with 13! I'm so impressed (not with the list with you!) btw...I voted for you! What a blessing you are to so many. Thanks for coming by!

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great! I feel like I know you so much better now - and tell your kids that's a good thing. The only thing that I thought was weird was the fast 4 fingered typing. I just can't picture that, but it's funny!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I found your blog through Big Yellow House! I'm glad I did!
Blessings.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Melzie said...

You go girl!!! I hadn't made it your way yet- I've done good at my goals! I'm a lefty too! You mean I have to get finger printed again (first 2 times for teaching) when we start the adoption process- I always feel like a convict- my kiddo asked if I was, ha ha! Congrat's on the 100th post!!

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love that neocounter thing!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Thanks for telling us so much about yourself! I loved your list. I'm a lefty too, and I also fight with my daughters so I can get the mail. I don't get out enough!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Thanks for telling us so much about yourself! I loved your list. I'm a lefty too, and I also fight with my daughters so I can get the mail. I don't get out enough!

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger WendyWings said...

I made my 100 this week and didn't even realise it LOL
Great list :) I am another lefty, only one of my four is, my oldest daughter.

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Mary you make me smile. How fun!!

 
At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#28. Oooo, yard sales... Those are coming up again now, aren't they?

Great list!

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Uisce said...

congratulations, way to go!!

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I'm not even sure I can count to 100 anymore. I know I did it when I was a kid...

Great list, Mary! Sorry about all those broken bones.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

That's amazng you breast fed your adopted children. No, I don't think it's weird I think it's wonderful.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger At A Hen's Pace said...

Mary--

So nice to learn more about you!

We are a camping family too--also with travel trailer, microwave, etc. Oh, and I am also a former AMC Hornet driver! My dad owned it, but that was my ride when my husband and I first started dating in college. Like you, we now drive a 15 passenger van (white).

Happy 100th! How did you know? Do you have a counter or did you just...count?

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, I laugh so much reading your blogs--they make the 2am-4am part of my work go much faster :) I'm so blessed to have such an inspiring and wonderful (not to mention FUN!) big sis :)

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger eph2810 said...

So cool...German background, even more cool...
Sprechen Sie noch etwas Deutsch?

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Heather Ivester said...

Hi Mary,
I loved learning more about you in these 100 things -- wow! I know what you mean about typing with small children all around. At least we have lots of writing material -- haha! What Chicken Soup book are you in? I came here via Nicki's Living in My Mind blog. You have an amazing bundle of energy to raise 8 children! :)

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger donna said...

this was so much fun reading this and getting to know you....Loved it....what a beautiful family you have...thanks for visiting my blog...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home