Saturday, February 4

The Party--

(3rd attempt to post.. darn Blogger anyway) So the party was great. Good food, good company. We actually had the party at our church-- our dining room does NOT seat 45. Actually, I doubt if our whole house seats 45. It was really nice to be able to trash the kitchen cooking all day and not have to worry about getting it clean before the company arrived.

The dinner menu, in case you're interested, was chicken kiev, cheesy scalloped potatoes, rolls, green salad....dessert was carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. We got raves on the food. People laughed lots, looked through our daughter's old photo albums, gave her great advice, hung around a long time. It was a big success.

But let me tell ya-- I'm beat. Of course there was the church to clean up afterwards (thank heavens for relatives who pitched in). There was the mess that greeted us at home (surrounding me as I write). A vanload of dishes and left-over food to unload from the back of the rig. The 1 and 3 year olds who were exhausted from the evening of wild excitement and cake-eating. The 7 year olds who moved like molasses to get PJ's on. The 3 year old who peed on the bathroom floor inches from making it to the toilet. The one year old who while being dressed for bed peed the carpet--and her pants-- and MY pants.

Then there was my misguided attempt to set the baby down in my bathroom so I could peel off my soaking wet clothes and slip into something comfy. Baby clutches me in hysteria at being set down on the FLOOR. (How dare I set her down?) In her frenzy, she slips, falls, hitting her cheek on the edge of the toilet.

Her agonized screaming of course totally derails my plans to actually remove my pee-soaked pants, and necessitates 5 minutes of dancing around the bathroom, singing and trying to distract the baby from her owie. Of course I am sympathetic to her pain, but I also really want these danged wet pants off my body. Finally she settles down.

I get my sweatpants on. Return to the living room. Kiss everyone. Send them off to bed. Lie on the bottom bunk of the bunkbed with the 3 year old while she goes to sleep, while also feeding the baby a bottle.

Return to the living room with sleeping baby in my arms (she'll wake up if I lay her in bed ALONE). Sit my weary self down. BEG my handsome hubby to zap me just a few more of those fabuloso scalloped potatoes. Which he does. Eat scalloped potatoes while basking in the afterglow of a nice party and the blessed bliss of nearly everyone in bed except for the beautiful baby on my arms and the handsome hubby laughing over Leno on the couch next to me.

4 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a wonderful party, Mary! Great job!

AM

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea! I can't believe you took the time to write about this tonight, but I"m so glad you did! I love all the details about when you got home and had to get kids ready for bed. Wearing pee soaked clothing while doing the Owie Dance in the bathroom - that's motherhood.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Perri said...

Sounds like a perfect day with a memorable ending.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

What a peaceful and happy ending to a hectic and happy day. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home