Saturday, February 25

Tonight's Dinner

I made this tonight when I was wanting to do something vaguely Korean that used up some fresh spinach before I forgot about it. The meal turned out so bright and pretty (better than the pix) that I thought I'd share the recipe.



Beef with Sweet Potatoes and Spinach
Serves 8-10 Time to prepare: 20 minutes
2 lbs lean ground beef (or round steak)
4 garlic cloves, or to taste
2 sweet potatoes, in small cubes
1 T. sesame seeds
1 lb fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 T. cornstarch
1 cup water
Cooked rice, about 8 cups
Cook rice. (I always use a rice cooker-- SOOO easy!) Start hamburger and minced garlic cooking on medium-high in a large skillet. Peel and cube sweet potatoes. When hamburger is half cooked, drain off accumulated grease and add in sweet potatoes and sesame seeds to cook along with hamburger. Rinse and coarsely chop spinach. When hamburger is well browned and sweet potato cubes are starting to soften, sprinkle in the cornstarch and add water and soy sauce. Cook til bubbly. Just before serving, add spinach in with the hamburger mixture and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring once or twice. Serve over rice.
Note: I garnished with slices of 'daikon' (pickled Korean radish) and sheets of 'kim' (roasted seaweed). My kids like to put a few bites of rice mixture into the 'kim', roll it like sushi, and eat.
-------------------------------------------
And a question: I have been playing with my template-- I think it is working ok for internet explorer.... But if you have firefox for a browser, can you let me know if this page comes up ok for you?

4 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love to season with sesame seeds..
and cook with the oil
Over from the other Michele's

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Kristal said...

I use Firefox and everything's fine!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Looks good to me. I'm a Firefox girl.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Looks great in Firefox.

That dish looks great, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home