Saturday, March 4

Opinion Saturday


OK, it's time for Opinion Saturday! Today's opinion topic is the Mardi Gras celebration in New Orleans this week. In your opinion, was Mardi Gras a good morale boost, or was it just one more stress on the already cash-strapped New Orleans? If you want you can read more about it:

New Orleans Exults in Its Old Self, if Only for a Moment -

New Orleans Running Out of Options as It Scrambles for New Loans -

Or you can go with your gut and just tell me what you think. Same as last week, I am looking for the best-reasoned, best-expressed opinion on either side of the debate. I'll be choosing the Golden Keyboard Award winner Sunday evening.

The winner of this VERY prestigious award (grin) will once again be featured on my sidebar all week, and will be given a code to place the award on their own sidebar if they wish. (Last weeks' winners should feel free to either leave their award up or take it down-- totally up to you!) So give me your opinions!!!

4 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger kel said...

I don’t think it is appropriate.
Sure visitors can go to Mardi Gras and see that the city looks pretty good considering. But go a few miles and see the devastation that is still New Orleans. I think it takes away from the devastation in many ways. It took lots of planning, time and money. All three of these things are needed for New Orleans rebuilding. Get peoples homes rebuilt get people back into their lives and then throw a big Mardi Gras but take care of people, home, the rest of the town first. I understand that there is revenue to be made but I dont think the significantly reduced revenue income balances the taking away of time, money and planning from the recovery effort. It is not unheard of for the carnival to be cancelled it has been cancelled 13 times in its 200 year history. This should have been the 14th.

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a slap in the face to all that died. I KNOW it's tradition. I have been many times, but you can't run a marathon until you can walk again.
I think that it's short-sighted, like many other things happening down there. I have family who live in LA and it's like another world there.
The emphasis should be on razing that city. I don't think it should be rebuilt. Not unless they jack it up about sea level.
Those who do not learn from history's mistake are condemned to repeat them.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

I've been to Mardi Gras twice and I think it's a slap in the face to not have it. Mardi Gras is a celebration of the spirit of New Orelans through art. And I say Art must go on in spite of tragedy - it's what makes re-building worth it.

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who lives in Manhattan, in an apartment blocks from the site of the twin towers, I am adamant in saying -- life must go on. In the face of tragedy, joy and vibrancy and dancing and excitment mean so much. We can carry our grief at the lost into that joy, and into that celebration. Celebration in the face of tragedy, joy in the face of grief, love in the face of darkness -- these make us human.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home