Wednesday, April 26

I Am From (#4)

This one was written by my very accomplished 16 year old daughter



I am from piano keys on quiet days, from Levi jeans and chocolate chips.
I am from the white house on the top of the hill with children bent over school work and running outside.

I am from the sunflowers in the garden and the daisies striving to be taller than the weeds.

From special music at church and squinty-eyed smiles. From a grandmother who loves to sing and one who loves to cook. I am from large families and bedtime stories.

From just-because-I-told-you-to-clean-doesn’t-mean-someone-is-coming-over and when-we-are-at-family-reunions-you-have-to-say-more-than-yes-and-no.

I am from busy Sundays filled with Sunday School, church, choir and youth group at our small Lutheran church.

I am from a desert surrounded by mountains, from Kimbap and Injera.

From the high school sweethearts who married at the age of nineteen. From yearly drives to and from the ocean for breaks from the daily grind, and weeding the family garden in the hot, hot, sun.

I am from a family of many relatives and large lunches. I am from grandparent’s memories, photo albums, newspaper clippings, home videos and slide shows on DVD's.

15 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! Once again, you have proof that your children are uber-talented, Mary! :-)

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Meg said...

That is amazing- she is very talented! It is amazing what children can accomplish when given the right encouragement......what an example you set.- I'm motivated to try it myself now!!!!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Lala's world said...

very very good...what talent!

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

This is so good!! Great job, Mary's 16yr daughter! :)

Mary, I know you are so proud, of their writing, but also of the fine raising and family life that shines through all their writing. Proverbs 31, girl. :)

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

she did SO well!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Wow, what a great job!! It's so fun to read about your kids. You have done an awesome job raising them and teaching them the important things in life!!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger PJ Academy said...

Great Job!!!

Funny my kids just this morning when we were straightening up asked "whose coming over today?" =)

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I come live with you guys? Great writing! They must have a good teacher!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Nicki said...

Beautiful!! ...piano keys on quiet days...I love it!

...just because I told you to clean doesn't mean someone is coming over... I say that to my kids all the time!! LOL! I have a feeling that when they get old enough to write one of these, that line may appear!!

Great job!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

"I am from piano keys on quiet days..."

What a great image! Love it... :-)

 
At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so fun to hear her sweet personality coming through in her writing. She did an excellent job--makes me wish I had grown up in your house! :)

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the admonition to say more than just yes or no at family reunions!!

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just one more here, then i'm done :) The peace in your house is heard in this post. Not very many kids say that piano-playing is done on quiet days--it's done through much bribery (yes, we were raised by the same mom:)) in the middle of doing 25 other things. As a sidenote, her piano-playing is a source of joy to many of us :)

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Heth said...

I love this.
"daisies striving to be taller than the weeds"

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I love this. This was really great. What a good writer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home