Tuesday, April 4

Plaaaaay BALL!!

Well, it's official. As of yesterday evening at 6:00, baseball season has begun. My life now enters it's yearly cycle of crazy-busy-springtime. I will emerge sometime around mid-June, with a drink-box-littered, many-more-miles-on-the-odometer van, having spent too many dinner hours on the ball field or driving through the McDonald's drivethrough, or killing an hour in Walmart.

The 8-and-under set in my family will have reaquainted themselves with every park in town, spouting off facts and figures like a beserk real estate agent. "Can we go to 'x' park, mommy, pleeeeease?" (Nevermind that brother's game that day is on the other side of town) "Because it has the really cool slide AND the skate park where I can slide down the concrete hills on my new springtime-clothing-clad butt, making holes in my new pants mere hours after mommy pulled them off the hanger at Walmart."

Or, when told which park we are going to, they cry in dismay, "No, mommy! That one only has a BABY slide! And the drinking fountain is broken!"

Or, when told which park we're going to, MOMMY cries out in dismay, "No, that field is a half mile hike up a hill to get to the bathroom." (which when taking a 3 year old to a 2 hour game, you always have to visit.)
Side note: remind me to tell you later about my magic preschool potty solution later. You'll gag. Probably resolve to never read me again. But you'll laugh too. I think.

But, I digress. Back to the effects of baseball season.

The parts of me that I dared to expose to the world will be sun-tanned-- that is to say, my face below baseball cap and sunglasses, my legs below the ends of my capris, and my arms if the springtime weather is kind, and I dare remove my windbreaker long enough.

Clothing-related side note: Do I REALLY have to buy GAUCHOS this spring in my annual attempt to look like a hip, stylin' momma?? Say it isn't so! I am very, very afraid of gauchos. I suspect this is yet another style that can only be pulled off by a size 4. Won't size 14 me just look impossibly wide in them? I mean, the very name--gaucho-- sounds like a kid retching! On the other hand, these I could live with. Are they close enough?

Now lest I give you a totally one-sided view of baseball season, let me mention the positives. I will have a refreshed memory of all the finer points of baseball----(Just why did that kid run to second when all he was supposed to do was walk to first?)-- just in time for TV baseball, which I enjoy watching once a week or so with my 14 year old.

I will have cheered and shouted and gotten outdoors much more than I did all winter. I will have made a few new friends with moms of boys on my son's team. I will have had lots of chances to wear my Daring Young Mom T-shirt.

Best of all, my son will throw, catch, hit, and slide his way to spring-time bliss. And by mid-June I will be free once more to live a more balanced life. Unless he makes All-Stars again. Then my return to a more placid existence will be delayed by exactly four weeks.

18 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Little League has started here too!
We attend all our grandson's games.
So far no one has been able to play anything due to rain!

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Jeana said...

Just say NO to the gauchos. I'm suspicious if I wear them they will leave Goucho Marks. Hahahah! I crack myself up.

Stay strong, Mary! We'll fight 'em off together!

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh, I've been there! Only last year and this year is softball for us. Soccer just wasn't their thing.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

Is there a gaucho revival going on that I don't know about? And do gauchos actually look good on *anyone*? I kinda think not. Heh. I had gauchos in fourth grade and they weren't cute then, either. ;^) But the capris you linked to seem very hip and groovy. I say go for it. :-)

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Mellie Helen said...

Whenever gouchos return to the fashion scene, I always assume that the fashion designers are in a jovial, practical-joking kind of mood, and want to see just how greatly they can manipulate the public; publicly lauding how stylish the gauchos are, while privately snickering behind our backs. I say, to gauchos: just say "no".

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Heth said...

Happy sun tan to you!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Emily said...

i have to weigh in on the gaucho issue; they do look great on size 4 or smaller (and tall) -- aka hardly anyone. everyone else.....yeah i don't think so.

but capris? clam diggers? bermudas? i say oh yeah. :)

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Addie said...

Oh, I can't stand those gauchos! I got a pair for Christmas from my in-laws that I put on for 5 minutes just to make my husband laugh! When I was in elementary school my family went to a ultra conservative church that frowned on women and girls wearing shorts. So I got to wear what we called coulottes out to play. Horrid! Gauchos bring out a nervous twitch in me at the memory!! ;-)

Love the capris though. Those are a mommy's best fashion friend. And I bet the look cute with the DYM t-shirt. :-)

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger GiBee said...

Good grief ... that Jeana is STINKING HILLARIOUS!!! You slay me! Goucho Marks..... BWAAAHHHHAAAHHHHAAAHHHHAAAAHHHHAAA!

HAAA! (sorry... a little leftover giggle)

I like capris, hate Gouchos. Very frightened of them.

I suggest you step OVER this particular fashion trend. WAY OVER.

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pants are so aweful. I have never seen anyone wear them and look great (maybe good but not great!) I agree with you second choice, much more flattering!!

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger kel said...

I broke down and bought Gaucho pants today...I have to say VERY comfortable.

This is the first summer we are not tballing but still seem to have a summer full.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger mommy to six J's said...

its soccer for us good luck.
Char

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Jody said...

I am right there with you! I have 3 kids in baseball this year. We have games almost every night, sometimes 3, all in different places.

We live on popcorn, hotdogs, Icees and pickles for dinner for the next 2 months.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Brianna Heldt said...

Just weighing in on the gauchos. Have to admit I think they're super cute!!! I have a pair and they are literally the most comfy pair of pants I own!

So don't fear Mary...capris or gauchos, you will look good!

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Islandsparrow said...

We are just finishing our crazy season - hockey and ringette! When all four boys were heading in different directions to the rinks it kept us busy!! Our daughter plays ringette which is a bit like hockey only a ring is used instead of a puck.

I have a vague memory of gauchos being in style when I was a kid. But I don't remember having a pair. I usually don't keep up with the styles - but capris (we used to call them peddle-pushers) I love!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger momsmusings said...

We are getting into soccer and summer hockey leagues, yay (sarcasm) I love watching the kids, but it is really tiring and will be nice when we are not so crazy!!

I am curious about your bathroom side note...

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm waiting to hear about the preschool potty. Tell tell!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger momofalltrades said...

You use the cup trick....don't 'cha? ;) I have been guilty of not pushing potty training due to the: follow-the siblings-all-over-to-less-than-
sanitary-bathrooms, thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home