Wednesday, April 19

Viewpoint

This is our front flowerbed this afternoon-- tulip heaven. I came at the flowerbed sideways to avoid showcasing the weeds that are also there. I think in choosing that angle, I ended up with a depth that is more interesting than if I'd photographed the bed straight-on. I like the photo so much that it will probably be one of my entries at the fair this year.


That picture got me thinking. Also in our front yard today was the plumber's truck. Our pressure tank went out, you see, and while we had the plumber there to fix that, we also had him put in a new water heater. Both items were 13 years old, and we were afraid if we only did one, we'd have to call him out again in a few weeks when the other thing went toes up.

When the plumber departed, he left us a bill for $1500. FIFTEEN HUNDRED. I was pretty cranky. Wondering if the guy had overcharged us, wondering if another company could have done it cheaper. I snipped and snarled at everyone in sight for half an hour or so.

But then my flowers got me thinking about perspective. Yeah, I can choose to focus on the weeds. Or the plumber's bills. But if I do that, I will probably miss the deeper, richer view. The blessings that surround me daily. I think I'll frame this photo, so it can remind me to keep focusing on the flowers instead of the weeds.

18 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your perspective. It's hard to stop and look around when your head is buried in clouds of grouchiness. Those tulips are amazing!

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture, and a beautiful thought!

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Julie said...

beautiful picture!

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Wow, that is beautiful!! I wish I had a yard full of wonderful flowers like that!! It's just too hot here in the wonderful state of Arizona to keep them looking nice : )

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger kel said...

Great way to think about it, I need to do that more. Great pic too!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I LOVE that picture!!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Beautiful tulips! Spring flowers are the best. So, sorry about the bill! I admire your ability to get over the shock so quickly.

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I've asked you this before, but this time I'll actually remember to check back in for your answer...what type of camera do you use? Your photos are always wonderful!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Lala's world said...

wow love the picture!!! my hubby is a plumber so I can tell you if you got overcharged....but we are in Canada....so it might not help...oh well the perspective is wonderful!!!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Islandsparrow said...

I love that picture and both perspectives!! Photo and attitude. Thanks for the visual and spiritual inspiration :)

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Heth said...

Wonderful Mary!

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger owlhaven said...

Shannon, I have a Canon Powershot A610. It is a 5 megapixel digital camera. I love it!

Mary

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that picture is fabulous and should be publised. and thanks for pointing out what we should all be so lucky to see in any given day.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Nicki said...

Beautiful picture! I agree about the perspective thing too. Our lives are deeply affected by the perspective that we choose to view it from. Great analogy.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Pam said...

Gorgeous flowers. I adore tulips and have taken some of my favorite photos of them.

I especially like your perspective and desire to focus on the beauty rather than the plumber -- who wants to waste precious time on him when you've got such beauty around you!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Addie said...

Beautiful! The photo and your perspective.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Tennessee Mama Duck said...

Oh, how beautiful! The picture and the perspective!

Thanks for sharing!

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I love to get down low and take pics from a perspective we might not usually see....this pic is AMAZING!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home