Friday, April 28

Winners

I have so much enjoyed reading (and rereading) each of your posts. I am almost hesitant to pick a 'best' because, truly, each one is a work of art and love. You all did a stellar job, and I mean this most sincerely. However, I promised a winner...

How about two?


Congratulations to:

Living iN my mind: Where I'm From

Holding the Mirror up to My Soul: I Am From

Awesome writing, ladies!

----------------


To conclude the week, I have three more "I Am From's" to share. You see, when my younger kids realized that the big kids were getting actual COMMENTS from people on their posts, they came begging to me, asking me to help them write their own poems. So, here they are. Each of these phrases truly came from the children themselves, though I did the typing for them and arranged the phrases to fit the format..
--------------------


I Am From (8 year old)


I am from a full house, a busy house, a buzzy bumblebee yard, a happy tulip yard. I am from pollen that makes my eyes itch. From a house of animals.

I am from birthday breakfast in bed. From 'clear your dishes' and 'go play outside'. I am from picnics in the park. From fried chicken and lasagne.

I am from listening in church. From birthday cupcakes and Skittles in Sunday School class. I am from church camp in the mountains, eating good food and playing on the playground.

I am from pictures on the stairs and memories in my brain.
--------------


I Am From (7 year old)


I am from a dandelion house. A house of dishes and clothes and books. A house of 8 kids. I am from a yard of toys. From a bunch of bikes in the front yard. From weeding the flowerbeds. I am from shoes on the shelf in the garage.

I am from crying baby sisters. From Highlights magazines. From 'clean your room' and 'be nice to your sister'. I am from ten birthdays every year.

I am from macaroni and cheese, and shrimp if we ever get some. From boxes of cereal. I am from spaghetti.

I am from a line of wagons at Vacation Bible School. From yummy food at church camp. I am from listening about God and coloring when pastor talks for a long, long, long, long time.

I am from 2,000 pictures everywhere you look.
-----------------------------


I Am From (almost 4 year old)


I am from a house with flowers on it. From my pretty room with my little sister. From purples flowers in the grass. From playing with each other and resting with my little sister and my mama.

I am from playing outside with the doggie. From coloring at home with my little ittie sister. From doing some work with my teacher in her Sunday School.

I am from macaroni and cheese. From Daddy reading me a story about Angelina Ballerina. From a movie with some popcorn.

I am from pictures in my album.

16 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are too precious!! I love hearing what goes on in their heads :)

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Heth said...

They did a GREAT job. "birthday breakfast in bed", "purple flowers in the grass" and I think this is soooo sweet: "I am from ten birthdays every year"

Your kids are awesome.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Great job, young lady and young men!!

8yr, I love the "buzzy bumblebee yard", and I went a few years ago as a house mother with my 18yr daughter to "church camp in the mountains." :-)

7yr, I have 4 sisters, so I am from "be nice to your sister", too. And don't tell anybody, but sometimes I'd like to color when my pastor "talks for a long, long, long, long time!" ;-)

3yr, I like to play with doggies, too. And I like movies and popcorn. You sure are a pretty girl!! :-)

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger MrsDoF said...

Consider this another Compliment in the Comments. The way young minds make connections is so precious.
The emphasis on pictures and food and all the reminders about how to tidy their space and mind their manners surely means they are on the road to being fine participants in social situations.
Ten birthdays a year must be a whole lot of partying!
~~love and Huggs, Diane

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

I love them! What great insight into the hearts of "ittie" ones!

 
At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I really like to hear what little kids see in their lives! How did you get them to be that vocal? Tell them they were very cool!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

Your children are all so creative and such good writers! You are a blessed mom...to many!

Diane

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Nicki said...

Mary, those are adorable. All of your children deserve Golden Keyboard Awards. But, you already knew that, I'm sure. :)

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *LOVED* these last three! Thank you so much for sharing them, Mary. I think that your 8 & 7 year old boys are very creative and intelligent for their ages, and your 3 year old is just adorable! I felt like I got to know each of your children so much better from reading all 7 of these. They seem like such amazing individuals and you must be so very proud! :-)

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger mamashine said...

Those were so much fun! I love "shrimp, if we ever get some"! :) Your kids are precious.

And oh my goodness thank you so much for choosing me! I thought everyone else's were so fabulous that it really never occurred to me I would win.

How do I put the award on my blog?

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger mamashine said...

Oh, and I'll get the wheat-free brownie recipe from my mom. I don't have it memorized because I can eat wheat. She's the one who can't. :)

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your family is just too precious for words, Mary!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Chastity said...

Wow, you have a huge family. Your kids are just beautiful!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Your little guy can come here and get all the shrimp he'd ever want -- esp. on Thursdays when our local seafood restaurant serves up All You Can Eat!

These were all beautiful and sweet. I have so enjoyed all of your children's perspectives of their wonderful family.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

I especially love these:
I am from...a buzzy bumblebee yard...

I am from macaroni and cheese, and shrimp if we ever get some.

From playing with each other and resting with my little sister and my mama.


What a great way to remember all the litle things that we sometimes forget to notice. Thanks, kids (and Mary!), for reminding me to look for things in my own life. :-)

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These were tear jerkers. Seriously. What an awesome family, and what a testament their memories are to the love and intentionality with which you and your husband are parenting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home