Friday, May 26

The Fitness Post

I've seen a lot of this type of post floating around on the internet, and I'd like to say that motivation like this is what inspired me to talk about this issue myself. Maybe that is a small part of it. But really it was several other things.

First of all, though she said very kind things, the picture of me on EmLouisa's blog was not my most flattering camera angle (meaning, I much prefer to be half behind someone when getting a photo taken!)

After I saw that, since I was feeling so darned good about myself, I decided to further torture myself by going over to make My Virtual Model . In the early part of creating her, there's a screen where you name your model, and the only thing I could think to name her was--wince-- fatso. I would never dream to say that about someone else, but somehow there was the thought about myself. Yowch. I have to say that when I actually saw my model, it wasn't as bad as I feared. Still, it was a telling moment.

Finally, last evening, while watching a news segment about the growing obesity of American people, a rather ample butt was shown on the screen-- probably at least a size 26-- and my baby looked at it and said, "Mama!"

Ouch. Let the record here state that I KNOW how utterly ridiculous it is to base my self-esteem on an 18 month old's assessment. Also in my defense, I wear a 14/16, not a 26. Still, I was not at all pleased that a cushy tush made the baby think of none other than her beloved mama.

So. Enough's enough. Today I went for a walk with 23 lbs of baby in the carrier, did some upper body stuff with rubber bands, and opted for strawberries instead of ice cream at bedtime. I'm aiming to lose 9 pounds. I actually need to lose at least 15 to be at the tippy top of the normal weight range for my height. But I'm so not a dieter and I'm trying to go with a reasonable goal, so let's start with 9.

I'll keep ya posted. Maybe it will help me stay motivated. That and my baby's rude comments.

16 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Blogger deedee said...

My girls have been "complimenting" me recently on the lovely pillow-like qualities of my stomach.
Hello sit-ups :)

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know the kid comments! They squish my tummy all the time! I did the virtual model and ow! I thought hey! I'm not that chubby and then realzed that I am! So I was wondering if maybe we could support each other on the weight loss thing? I hate dieting and aerobics, but love to beactive when my baby's not clinging to me! I do like to eat healthy too. I know I can lose weight if I could just be more active and if I stayed away from sweets. I want to lose 15 lbs. to start. I have wanted some kind of weight loss buddy for awhile now but never thought of my blog buddies! Good idea! Do you have a time goal to lose your goal in?

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Randi said...

I think that the 23 pounds of baby will increase your calorie burning by quite a bit! Best of luck to you--YOU CAN DO IT!

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I for one thought you looked great in that picture..especially since I saw you in person.

But we are always hardest on ourselves..ya know? Good for you for working out! I started that several weeks ago and I am feeling so much better!

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I've been trying to get back into the fitness thing and it's a rocky road (unfortunately NOT the icecream...) I've been bouncing five pounds for a while up then down up then down up then down....you get the picture. Anyway, it's a worthy goal, I think.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Shana said...

Funny, I haven't seen any of these "fitness" posts, but I, too have turned over a new leaf recently. I am doing pilates at home 3-4 times a week, and just yesterday I started journaling my food and calorie intake.

As someone who has successfully lost weight - and kept it off in the past (I have a few post-baby pounds left that I never cared too much about), let me just suggest keeping a notepad handy where you can track how much water you drink in a day (very important), as well as what food you eat.

I have also found that by setting a calorie goal for the day, I make much wiser food choices, and I stop and think before I eat. It felt so good last night going to bed without any guilt over anything I'd eaten that day!

Good luck - you'll do great!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Pam said...

Kids can be so brutal, can't they?

I am currently trying to shed several pounds myself, so I'd be happy to encourage you and would welcome the encouragement, too, when you think of it.

Good choices so far. I need to go buy more strawberries, too.

Praying for victory for you. Yet, in my eyes, you already look great.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Emily said...

i just wanted to mention something; when my sister was that age, every woman was 'a mommy'. maybe she was just pointing out that it was a woman, not recognizing your figure...

just an idea. best of luck to you on your 9 lb. goal! i'm rooting for you. :)

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Nicki said...

A couple of us just started a 'Let's Get in Shape' Challenge. We are pledging to do some kind of exercise before we do computer time or post on our blogs. Then, when we visit others or post on our own blog, we tell everyone what exercise we did. We are trying to be good at holding each other accountable and encouraging one another to keep it up.

A couple of times I have sat down at the computer, only to get right back up, so that I can do 30 squats, leg lifts, or something else. That may not seem like much but it's much more than I would be doing without the challenge. :)

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Jody said...

I am shrinking. Nothing like a little stress to lose weight. Also, Mia is weaning (whaaa) and I am losing because of that.

Firming is another matter all together. I am jello mom right now!

I think you look gorgeous!

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it, Mary. What a sensible and reasoned approach. And for the record, I think your picture looks adorable!

Last week my five year old asked me, "Mommy is your tummy big and fat because you eat too much?"

Yeah, thanks for that.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Pfingston said...

Yes, children are blunt. So, ouch! I didn't know of the other fitness blogs - but I too am trying to lose some poundage that I blogged about already . . . Doesn't help that this month we have been celebrating several birthdays and mothers day and such . . . As my hubby says- chocolate is my kriptonite.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger tam said...

mmhmmm, heard that, gotcha on that!

MrMagoo, my little boy who noticed the weekly change in my Gram's hair as early as 6 mos old by giggling and to this day notices new lipstick, earrings and the new clothes I try to avoid revealing as new, asked me if I had a baby in my tummy.

Nope, no baby.

but there's ice cream in my future now!

I, too, must shed some pounds. It is for health, it is for longevity.

Good for you Mary for being realistic.

I'll be cheering you on!

(your pic really was good...you have a beautiful smile!)

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger owlhaven said...

Cheerios-- I am going to try to lose the weight by late August, our 20th wedding anniversary. 9 lbs in 12 weeks. I hope I can stay motivated and do it...

And Emily, you may be onto something with your explanation there. Immediately after she called the large lady mommy, she declared that the news reporter was daddy.

Mary

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Lana said...

every monday I start a new "diet", every wed. I fail. But maybe some day!

Anyway, good luck, it can be done.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Melodee said...

Good for you! Small steps everyday . . . that's how you reach a goal. (I'm such an expert now, ha ha!)

--The Shrinking Mom
http://shrinkingmom.clubmom.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home