Tuesday, May 2

Today In Numbers (Warning: Cranky)

Left home at 2:30 PM with 14 year old, 3 yr old and one year old. In the following 6 hours we:

--Drove 60 miles
--Got cut off 5 times by 5 different drivers which normally doesn't even make me blink, but TWICE I was forced to hit my brakes HARD. I'm telling you, I came THIS close to honking! (spoken in genteel Southern lady voice)
--Sat in 6 waiting rooms for a total of 2 hours. I suspect we were forgotten about at least once.
--Filled out 6 forms
--Signed name 12 times
--Picked up one set of x-rays
--Saw one oral surgeon for approximately 6 minutes.
--Had one CT scan (son)
--Experienced the joys of 3 public restrooms with the three yr old using at least 6 squirts of soap and much water running down the elbows each time.
--Scheduled one surgery (Thursday)
--Refereed 6 fights (little girls, not bad for 2 hours in waiting rooms)
--Fed kids pretzels, gummy bears, and bananas.
--Walked at least a mile through endless parking lots
--Screamed as 3 year old ran away across parking lot almost in front of a truck
-- Chewed out son for not holding her hand.
--Tried not to imagine yet another kid injured.
--Spent $26 at KFC, mostly on mashed potatoes which are destined to be sucked through A STRAW.
--Picked up 3 kids from choir.
--Went to grocery store with 6 kids where we
--Took 3 kids potty
--waited 20 minutes to fill 3 prescriptions for 3 different kids.
--bought 20 meals worth of Carnation Instant Breakfast
--broke up 6 fights
--Told kids not to touch stuff 5 times
--Held baby at checkout because it was 8 pm and she was understandably losing it.
--Ignored much jostling between 8 and 7 year olds.
--Rented 2 movies at Movieland for my son.
--Got home and sent 4 kids for PJ's.
--Immediately picked a fight with my hubby whose day I was sure was a picnic compared to mine. Till then. Sigh.

Oh, and the verdict: the oral surgeon confirmed that yes our son's jaw is all smashed up, in two places on the left side and maybe even some on the other side. (The CT scan results aren't back yet.) He has a loose tooth, which he may lose. And not only will he need surgery to wire his jaw TIGHT SHUT for 6 weeks, he may also need a titanium plate on the bone installe at the same time. He will need general anesthesia both to get the jaw wired AND in 6 weeks to remove the wires. AND when all that fun is done, he may even need braces (again!) because often the wiring messes up tooth alignment. AND the antibiotics that the oral surgeon prescribed are huge ol' pills, meaning that is one more thing I get to crush a puree for my poor kid. Antibiotic grit between his teeth. Yum. Ain't life grand. And, yeah, I'm a tad cranky tonight. Must have been my tremendously restful day.

I'm off to bed. Back to normal cheery programming tomorrow. Maybe.

20 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Mary. I'm glad I'm up late enough to be the first to wish you a better tomorrow! I'm sending you prayers of restful sleep and peace in the days to come....and prayers for your son, too, of course. xo!

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger pink-diamonds said...

Oh I am so sorry! It sounds like you had a awful day. I will keep your son in my prayers. I hope it gets better soon.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Lala's world said...

oh man I just got caught up on your blog...and I am so sorry about your son!! what an aweful thing to have happen! my dad had to have his jaw wired shut...he drank roast beef shakes...ewwww... I think they have better protein shakes now then they did back then...hopefully they will help and your son will get his surgery done soon and the surgeon's hands be led by God...the greatest surgeon of all!!!
I feel bad that I have been complaining...you certainly have had a worse week then me!
will be praying for you and your family!

 
At 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, please let me know if you need any help in the kid-watching or sanity-keeping department. as of 7am wednesday, I'm done working for the week. I'll call you when I wake up wednesday, and hopefully I'll be able to help a bit. Take care of yourself too, K? :)

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger deedee said...

Luckily, not all days are like this. Cheers for tomorrow.

 
At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear! Sounds like a very difficult day. :(

I will be praying for your family and especially your son. My youngest son (toddler) has had brain surgery twice and so I know what those anxious waiting room moments feel like for a Mommy. (((hugs)))

Hang in there!

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Oh my goodness Mary. One of those days. Funny how we pick fights w/ our men when we are streeeeeessed.out to the max! I think you should take today off!! I'll be praying for your son. I have no suggestions of what you could feed him other then what you listed Lots of smoothies to get the fruit in, V8 for the veggies, and whatever else he'll eat! Sounds soooo painful. :(

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger carla said...

So sorry, Mary. Hope things go much better for all of you today.
Will be remembering you all in prayer...

carla

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Heather Plett said...

Sorry you had such a hard day. I feel almost guilty for having spent the day at a peaceful retreat - hope you get one of those days soon too :-)

 
At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy oy oy. What a day!

Your poor boy. I hope he likes to read!

You might want to look into Reliv's shakes. They are uber-healthy. I'd check them out on the official website and then if you decide to get some - get them on Ebay. They are kinda expensive. (plus they're a bit psycho with the MLM thing)

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger owlhaven said...

Yes, my son does like to read and has a stack of good books pending at the moment. He's also a computer nut, has his own computer he likes to work on. He's learning HTML and Java. Plus yesterday he talked me into letting him get a new computer game he's been wanted forever. (I'm feeling a bit of a soft touch at the moment for some reason). So he will have stuff to do.

Mary

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Prayers for a better today:)) I will also pray for your son to have a speedy and minimal pain recovery. Don't we all have days like these?? Then when we sit and think things through we kind of laugh at the craziness of it all and thank god for the good things we have:)

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Addie said...

These are the days that can send a mommy over the edge! So, so, sorry! ((Hugs))

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

Oh my! You must have the patience of a saint, if not, you soon will, whether you like it or not. Hugs and Prayers to you and your son, both!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Jody said...

Oh, Mary! Bless his heart and yours! I will keep your son in my prayers and thoughts!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Chaos-Jamie said...

I think I should save this link to remember: I could always have had a worse day! I pray today is better.

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, it seems like the month of May is off to a memorable start. I am so sorry for the stress your family is going through, especially your son. I hope his recovery is smooth and speedy and he will rebound quickly. You too!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Truth said...

What? Has this Dr. never heard of liquid anitibiotics? I'd be cranky too. Hope today was a better day and you all got some much needed rest.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Islandsparrow said...

Oh dear Mary - you need a big hug - and someone to make you a nice cup of tea (or whatever comforting drink you like)and then tuck you up...we're never too old for a bit of mothering.Hope you are able to get some rest.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You have full rights to be a tad cranky - that was a day the President couldn't have survived!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home