Thursday, May 4

We Survived The Day-- Hooray!

Lots of things to be thankful for:

--My 14 year old's surgery went well and he is waking up and drinking a little and feeling not too horrid.

--The baby did well at home all day without me. This was only the second time I've left her for any length of time. Oh, and she did not seem the slightest bit sick today. Ate well, played happily, napped well. Hooray.

--My sister Sophie was able to come help my teenagers with the little ones today.

--The rest of the little kids also did well without me: lots of playing outside and a few projects carried them through nicely.

--When I got home, the house was clean, there was fresh bread, and dessert baking in the oven. Yeah for capable teens!!

--My 11 year old did a fabulous job writing a post for me about the ups and downs of large families for my Ethiopia adoption blog, so that was one less thing to do when I got home.

-----------

On the down side, my son has had a LOT of pain, and more than usual swelling of his face, and so the doctor decided to keep him in the hospital overnight for some extra observation and some steroids. But when I headed home, he had gotten up to the bathroom, changed into his OWN PJ's, and was watching a little baseball. His dad is staying overnight with him, and we anticipate bringing him home first thing in the morning. Still praying of course that all goes smoothly in the next 6 weeks while his jaw is wired, but we are very thankful to have this surgery behind us.

Thanks for all your prayers and good wishes. And yes, casseroles happily accepted-- even cyber-ones!!

18 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Blogger Chastity said...

Congrats on the successful surgery!!!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Truth said...

So glad to hear the surgery went well. Wish I could send a real dinner over. Praying you get a couple of weeks worth of meals and your ds heals quickly.

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad this went well for you, Mary. Sending, uh, virtual stromboli your way?? And still plenty of prayers, too!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger owlhaven said...

Stromboli--yum! I'm going to have to try that recipe, Lauren..

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The kids did great while I was there, and Mary, I have to tell you how incredibly impressed i am with your children. they are like a well-oiled machine! I came in from playing to make lunch, and the girls jumped in to help, then the little boys asked to help, so they set the table, while your little chatterbox emptied to silverware from the dishwasher. i got kicked out of a job--it was great! then after, they did the same thing. the table was cleared, the dishes in the dishwasher, the left-overs put away before I could even ask them to help. Wow, was I amazed!
I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went well. sorry he has to stay overnight, but at least daddy is familiar with the hospital :) looking forward to *hopefully*? seeing you on saturday!

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

So glad everything went well, and maybe your son won't have nearly as much pain today. Praying he won't, and that his recovery is fast and that he won't have to have braces AGAIN!

I know you are SO proud of your kids, stepping in and being such a help while you and Dad took care of their brother. Makes me want to give them all a big hug and a kiss for being such good kids. :-)

 
At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to be so relieved the day went as well as possible. Prayer is powerful.

I'm baking a virtual casserole in my virtual oven. I hope you like virtual tuna.

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Jeana said...

Hey, glad it went well. Here's a lasagna, just for you!

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

Yay! It must be such a relief to have completed one more hurdle in this ordeal. Here's hope and prayers for a speedy recovery and two 9 x 13's of Pastitcio!

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so glad to hear things went well.
Did you get the virtual dinner I sent? Lots of prayers lifted up for you.

Suzanne

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger kel said...

Glad to hear that he did good for his surgery continued happy thoughts and prayers.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger MrsDoF said...

Overnight for observation is probably for the best--even with a former nurse as his mom! and he's at the age when dad can be a nice role model.
What a fine family you are nurturing!

When I do a carry-in for folks in recuperation, it is usually meatloaf and scalloped potatoes and green bean casserole, so I'll send some your way through cyberspace.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Randi said...

Prayers for you and your family! I hope he has a quick healing!

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Jody said...

Oh that is so great! I am sure you are gratefult o have that behind you.

Here's a virtual pot roast, and of coarse continued prayers.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Tennessee Mama Duck said...

I love the virtual meals, and am so glad he did well. I pray the next 6 weeks go quickly and smoothly!

Here's some chicken casserole for the whole family, with cheesecake and fresh strawberries for dessert!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Carol said...

You have much to be thankful for!

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Nicki said...

I'm so glad that everything went rather smoothly. Boy, you've had quite a week. I'm going to say a prayer right now that he has an uneventful and speedy recovery.

I'll send you one of my famous chicken pot pies. When I take meals to people in our church family, they will often request it. Actually, with your group, I'll send two.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Glad all went well. Sending prayers for continuing recovery for your son!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home