Tuesday, June 27

Church camp

Our camp is up in the mountains near a lake a few hours drive from our home. One of the things that I love most about it is that it is a family camp. Sunday school classes are divided by age, and there are bunkhouses where bigger kids stay with counselors. But most times you see people of all ages hanging out together.

One of the things the little kids like to do most is ring the bell at mealtime. Tetherball is a favorite for bigger kids. In the background you can see the A-frame cabins that dot the camp.

Here are my big girls hanging out with one of their best friends.
And here is my littlest, delighted because she has just conquered the heights of the play structure. She was fearless on the slide, and went down over and over and over. Hard to believe one year ago she had just gotten home from Ethiopia and couldn't even sit up!

Most evenings the bigger people stayed up late in the dining hall playing games such as Dutch Blitz, dominoes, poker, Apples to Apples, and Phase 10.

And then, of course, there was the lake. Here I am with my youngest. She wasn't so sure about this cold water. A big hit every year is the inflatable rafts we always bring. We toss life jackets on the younger ones, and then tie the boat to a big rock with a long rope. Then the kids can row to their hearts content without anyone ever having to retrieve them from the deep, or tell them they've gone out too far. It is great fun.

While the little kids splashed in the swimming hole, the big kids went wakeboarding and tubing out on my uncle's powerboat. And my hubby also got to take the 8 year olds fishing on the lake in our pastor's little boat. They even caught some fish! All in all, a great weekend. So glad I got to share it with my family!

15 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Jeana said...

Looks like big fun! And that picture of the baby--with the hand under her chin--how cute is that!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Looks like everyone had a great time. What a fun memory to share with your family!!

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had fun -- gorgeous scenery and cute pics! Welcome back!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Barb said...

No wonder the kids were asking when the next camp was on your way home from this one. What a great thing for you and hubby and the kids to do together! Great photos, too.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger JeepGirl said...

Looks like loads of fun had by all, even the adult kids. Ha -
Great photo's -Thanks for sharing.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Spirit of Adoption said...

I'm so glad you got to experience it with your family too! What a sweet way to spend time away with the fam! Sounds like it's full of memory building!!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger momsmusings said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time. What an awesome idea to tie the raft to something!! I have been chasing those things forever!! Thanks for sharing your photos.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Family church camp?! Fabulous idea. Great pictures.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Can I go next year, Mary? It sounds like you all had a great time. I've never heard of the whole family going to church camp, but I really like the idea. ;-)

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Chaos-Jamie said...

You play Dutch Blitz? I've never met anyone not living in my home town that plays Dutch Blitz.

It's such a vonderful goot game!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Mama D said...

This all looks so fun! Glad you are having a great time!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger carla said...

Oh fun! It looks like you all had a really great time!

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

Oh wow--that looks completely fabulous! I'm so glad you had fun!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

Ah this post makes me long for my church camp. We grew up spending the entire summer at a small camp in New Hampshire called Pilgrim Pines. The lake, the lake night card games, tetherball... it all makes my hear ache.
It's the biggest thing I miss from "home".
Courtney O.

 
At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many days till next camp? That's a cute picture of our girls, will you please email it to me? I have some I will share with you too.
I always love camp!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home