Monday, June 26

A Moment From Camp

I've been going through my photos today deciding which ones I'll post and what to tell you about. I may get it all together tonight, maybe tomorrow. But I wanted to start by sharing one moment that was especially meaningful to me.

It is a family camp we attend. During chapel we all take turns randomly choosing songs to sing. There are lots of familiar favorites in the book we use. But at least once or twice during the weekend, someone, usually a little child randomly shouting out a number, will choose some obscure song that we all do our best to learn on the spot. This time the song came bearing a memory for me.

It was three years ago. Winter was ending, and my grandmother was dying. Various relatives were taking turns sitting with her in the hospital so she wouldn't be alone, even at night. One night I stayed with her.

There had been the usual commotion early in the night, with the next shift of nurses coming in to administer medicine and record vital signs. Then there was the careful arranging of pillows around my grandmother's tiny bent body, and finally, quiet came as she drifted off to sleep. I got settled in the pullout bed next to her, dozing lightly and waking often to listen to her breath and think of times we'd shared in the past.

In the dead of the night I heard her faint voice. I opened my mouth to ask her what she'd said. But she continued without waiting for my response, and suddenly I realized she was singing.

Singing praises. At 2 am. In a dark hospital room. I went to her, and added my voice to hers, feeling the warmth of her wrinkled hand, my heart full with the privilege of that moment.





"I will offer You praise when the sun meets the dew
And I will offer You praise at the noon's brightest hue.
I will offer You praise when the starlight is due
And when I wake in the night, Lord, I'll still be praising You."

15 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Blogger Julie said...

What a beautiful memory.

 
At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an absolute blessing...

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger carla said...

I'm wiping the tears from my eyes...very beautiful, indeed.

carla

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

How precious...thank you so much for sharing that sweet memory.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

All my sisters and I sang to my Dad as he was taking his last breaths, Mary. His favorite song was "I've Anchored My Soul In The Haven Of Rest", and we sang through our tears. When one faltered, the others filled the gap, until Daddy peacefully slipped away, to be with Jesus evermore. I treasure that memory of that last thing we could do for Daddy, singing him home, and I know you will cherish your memories of your beloved Grandmother.

Thank you for sharing your heart, Mary. :-)

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Jeana said...

Wow, Mary, that is really beautiful.

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Beck said...

That's beautiful, just lovely. My grandmother and aunts sang hymns with my grandfather as he died, too - and it gave me chills to realize that this wasn't unique, that other people have faced death with such grace and serenity. Thank you for that.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Barb said...

How blessed you are to have such a memory.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Jody said...

oh....tears. How amazing. What a special moment for yo both.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger momteacherfriend said...

The power of music! What a beautiful picture.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

That's such a precious moment.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Such a beautiful song and memory. Thanks for sharing with us!

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those moments are so precious when they happen. They make you slow down a little and remember the important things. It's very beautiful.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Spirit of Adoption said...

Ahhhhh....that's a priceless memory, Mary!!!! THANK YOU so much for sharing!!!! It's not too many who have memories like that to share....the depth of knowing Jesus like your grandma must have is not a common depth....just a gift, a true gift!!! Praise God!

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOw beautiful that moment is... thank you for allowing us a peek.
Hugs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home