Friday, June 16

Witty dialogue...

...from our house this morning around 8:30 as I was attempting to wade thru the last of my bloglines before the entire mob of children started chanting 'breakfast, breakfast...'

"Mommy, it's Friday!' said by 8 year old #1 with raised eyebrows and a look that purported great significance.

"Um, yeah...what's happening today?" I say as, while still speed reading blogs, I frantically try to remember what thrilling thing I may have forgotten.

'Yard-saling day! Can we go, please, please,please?'

Concurrent with this conversation is one from the other 8 year old who is asking me what we are getting daddy for Father's Day.

I start to panic about this until my 16 year old reminds me we already have a nice thick how-to-type book and a cool cast iron (wood-stove-top) teapot to give him. (Trust me, he'll love it. Not quite as much as a $200 Home Depot gift card, but he will love it.)

8 year old #1 is still saying 'please, please, please, yardsaling' while 8 year old #2 then (don't ask me why) moves on to Mother's Day questions, "Then what are we giving Mom for Mother's Day?"

"Nothing!" says 8 yr old #1. He's aggravated that I just asked him to stop nagging me about yard-saling since I am not sure I even want to do that and wish he would stop talking about it before 2 or 3 other children start talking about it as if it is a 'Happening' this morning.

8 year old #2 senses my aggravation about the nagging and suggests helpfully, "How about don't nag your mother?"

8 yr old #1 resents this 'parenting' from his brother and shows it by raising his fist and saying, 'How about punch your brother?"

Um. Yeah. Life at our house this morning. Now I really must do breakfast before blood sugars plummet any further..

7 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Genevieve Hinson said...

Hah! such a witty come back for a brother to tell.

funnnnnnnnnny to (prob more funny iffin ur not the mom ;))

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That sounds like my house! This morning was filled with questions about having a Coolade stand and getting all the stuff. Said repeatedly over and over again and ending with a slight whine.... My 6 year old, only female in the bunch, is persistant to say the least. She wants to raise money for a family in our church going through cancer treatments but she has to go to school instead, it's not a happy day anymore.

Have a great day yardsaling!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Well, at least he asked before he punched! That's good, right? ;)

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Chaos-Jamie said...

I once ran across a mother in the produce section that looked as frazzled as I felt. We made eye contact and she said, "Same life, different house."

That's how your post read to me today. LOL!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Barb said...

This sounds like my house when I was growing up. Six kids. Four of them boys. Reading this makes me realize how seriously lucky I am that I can get up SLOWLY and start my day QUIETLY. You have my endless admiration!

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

My only one is 18 and headed to college this fall. You're still in the foxhole with yours, and I remember just what it's like. I also had 4 sisters growing up and NO Bathroom, just an outdoor toilet and washtub. Just use your imagination here.... :-)

So, did you go yardsaling after all? Whadja get? Huh huh, whadja get? LOL ;-)

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Mama Melissa said...

My nephew loves to go garage saling with my sister and I! He's only six... I hope it lasts awhile longer. :)

Melissa
(adopting from China - LID 10/31/05)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home